Saturday 18 October 2014

New meaning or veiled insult?

What comes to mind when 15th birthday and party are said in the same sentence? Maybe what comes to mind is that the decoration generally reflects the personality of the birthday girl?  Perhaps the existence of a certain hierarchical difference between people going to the dinner and those going after 12 a.m. is what your mind conjures up. And maybe, the delicious food, the awesome music and the emotional time watching videos and remembering the life of the person being celebrated is what triggers the smile slowly appearing on your face.


When last week I went to a party, all of these aspects of an event that is rooted in our culture were on my mind. And although they were all present, one situation shocked me and made me reflect on the difference between generations:

The group of friends attending the party had made some posters and stuck them all around town. They had the purpose of saying Happy Birthday to the girl throwing the party. What really left me speechless was the content of those posters. The title was: “Se busca negra inmigrante” and then, a list of offences such as “ser una p#&%+”, “tener un sentido de la moda peor que un mendigo”, “dar los peores consejos del mundo”. “apestar”, “ser lenta” etc. In the end it stated that all was a joke and wished the girl a Happy Birthday.
After reading such texts I felt terribly uncomfortable. I wondered if the birthday girl felt flattered or insulted by it and if it was a common occurrence among teenagers. Being there the entire weekend, I could see this group of friends interact several times and I realised they communicated with each other making use of words that for me are insults. They said “pelotuda”, “cabrona” and “boluda” as if they were endearments.



This situation made me question the use of those words. Do teenagers use these words with a change in relation to the original meaning or is this type of communication a veiled war of egos? Do they feel offended or flattered by them? Are they aware of the real meaning of the words? Most of them did not even blink when talking while making use of these specific words so I suppose they are attributing new meanings to insults. Either way I would never consider an insult a term of endearment and if someone refers to me in those terms I would stop them and ask them to treat me with respect. I do not care if their reasons are good; if somebody tells me “boluda” I will not hold them in high esteem.

What is your opinion? Do you think words change their meaning according to the context? Are there any words that you have heard said as a term of endearment but you consider them not to be?



4 comments:

  1. Interesting post Ailin! Actually, I do believe that certain words’ meanings change depending on the context. However, I don’t accept an insult as an endearment.
    We cannot deny that nowadays many things have changed, but sometimes I don’t know if we are advancing or if we are moving backwards. I’ve heard many times adolescents treating themselves by using insults, and that’s something that I still don’t understand. How can you feel loved by a friend who calls you “...” (an insult should be written here)? I just don’t get it.
    And even when we generally blame teenagers for having this kind of behaviour, we must admit that most adults also treat themselves in those terms. So, if we don’t want disrespectful children and adolescents, we as adults, should be respectful among us. “Leading by example” is the key point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right Dani. I've even heard men calling their wives names. If their children grow up witnessing that, they will see it as normal and think it's OK to treat other people the same way. I think we need to respect ourselves as well as other people and not allow that king of behaviour.

      Delete
  2. Nice post!I didn´t know about that new way of saying “happy birthday” to the girl throwing the party. It left me astonished. However I know that adolescents communicate in a very “particular” way, using lots of insults but I don´t understand them, what is the need to use these words instead of nice words as it should be?. Perhaps they just depict the society in which we live. This is a more violent society in which it seems easier to communicate through violence or violent words and it gives the impression that it became old-fashioned to say nice words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you but I'm still shocked whenever people treat others in a violent way. We can be an example by not allowing others to treat us that way and by always having a kind word for people who are nervous or having a bad day.

      Delete